Monday, August 11, 2008

Hair Care Products for Black Women That Exercise

I have tried many hair care products since I began my journey to physical fitness. I am constantly looking for tips in black hair care forums and blogs. I have yet to find that perfect product that makes managing my hair easy after exercise. However, I have found a few products that have been helpful. Hopefully you will find some of them useful. Please share any products that worked well for you.


Here are some of the products that I tried:

No Rinse Shampoo
Their Description
For active outdoorspeople, skin and hair products that require absolutely no rinsing! Non-irritating cleansers contain no alcohol and are biodegradable. Feel fresh on those extended camping trips with out harming the environment. 8 oz.


My thoughts
I normally use this after 2 or 3 workouts or when I feel my hair has collected a lot of dirt or sweat from cardio. I will use this to get rid of the dirt and then put my hair in a ponytail until my real shampoo and deep condition that I do about two days after using the no rinse. After I use the no rinse shampoo I add some leave in conditioner and let my hair air dry.
It works okay just to get me through the week, it's only 4 bucks so I will continue using it until I find something better.

Dry Shampoo

Their Description

This innovative dry shampoo absorbs excess oil and product buildup while increasing volume at the roots and nourshing the scalp

My thoughts
I was searching for aveda reviving mist and someone suggested that I try a dry shampoo. The dry shampoo is supposed to refresh your hair and get rid of the sweatiness. I was going to try and use this instead of the no rinse shampoo. It didn't work for me and I tried it to twice. Their may be other brands that are better than the one I tried but for now I'm still looking for the aveda reviving mist.



Aveda anti-humectant
Their Description:



This satiny pomade repels moisture from your hair, helping to prevent frizziness and f lyaways. Tames curls to give hair a polished look. Excellent in humid weather. Work through hair before or after styling.


My thoughts
This product worked really well for my hair when I first got it relaxed. For the first 2 -3 weeks after my relaxer my wraps lasted alot longer. Normally after 3 workouts I put my hair in a ponytail but with the anti-humectant my wrap lasted the whole week. The product also worked well when I was in a Atlanta (it's really humid) a few weeks ago. This product is expensive but it does work pretty well.

I'm really interested in any products you may have tried that either worked or didn't work.
Have you tried any of the products that I mentioned?

Comment!

For more hair care information check out theses posts:
Sweat Hard, Without Damaging Your Hair
Free Yourself: Caring for Black Hair
How to work out and still keep your hair FLY......
Resources : Eating Right, Exercise, Hair Care

8 comments:

Interracialmatch said...

I came across an interracial community called +++Blackwhitemeet.com++ one year ago. I posted my profile there and met my black boyfriend. This is a club for black & white singles to find ideal match.

Never200 said...

This is a good topic. I had natural hair for the past 10 years so I never had to worry about this issue. I got a perm a month ago, and my hair still gets curly when wet.

When I exercised when it was straight, I wrapped it but did not tie it down. After working out, I wrapped it with product like a pomade and tied it down. it worked fine after that.

Anything Aveda is great, I use the humectant pomade for my curls, but I may have to try the non-humectant when my hair is stright.

Anonymous said...

Hey Fitness Goddess,

Thanks for the tips!

Unknown said...

The Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo is a difficult product to navigate. I think the best way to use it is as part of a routine, rather than on its own. I have the original one that is in the form of a powder and I find that it is good for relieving itching and soaking up sweat and oil and it also has a nice smell, but it leaves a white residue, so it must be used sparingly.

Fitness Goddess said...

Thanks Erica,

I tried the Dry shampoo again and it doesn't suck as bad as I thought. It works okay.

DriaRob said...

I wear the Dri Sweat fitness cap for women's that I purchased at Wal-Mart and it works by absorbing the sweat on my forehead, behind my ears and my neck to reduce the amount sweat soaking up my hair. I'm loving this product thus far!

hairdiva said...

I have short relaxed hair and wash my hair and deep condition once a week with organic root stimulator hair conditioner. I wk out in high cardio classes 4 times a week. So far I have no breakage and when I.need to flatiron my hair I put it on low. And i use organic root stimulator hair balm. Ot smells like coconut. Also use Garnier fruitics hair shampoo or mizani. I'm 100% black I.just stick with what works.

Unknown said...

I know my readers would appreciate your work.
If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.
BCAA