Friday, August 8, 2008

Avoid Weekend Weight Gain

I know it's the weekend and you want to relax and destress. But let's not forget all the hard work you put in this week, don't let all your exercise and eating right go to waste! I know it's difficult because you want to go out, eat, drink, and have a great time. So, I put together some tips that allow you to have fun and still be slightly health conscious this weekend.

But first let me share some stats with you. A recent study shows that we consume at least 85 -115 more calories/day over the weekend. I know that doesn't sound like alot but increasing your calories like that will cause you to gain a pound after only 10 weeks!
Tips for A Night Out
This article has great tips for healthier drink options.
* Have a Whiskey Sour (3 oz glass) over a Margarita. It's about half the calories and still taste good!
* Have a glass of red wine it will help you relax and it's ony 150 calories per 4 oz. glass.
*You can also try the "skinny girl margarita"
2 oz of clear Tequila (100% agave, Patron Silver)
(count 1, 2 while you pour, no need for measuring)
A splash of fresh lime juice A splash of Cointreau, Grand Marnier or Triple SecCombine all ingredients over a glass of ice
Garnish with a lime wedge and salt (or sugar) if you'd like.Makes one serving.
You can also use a calorie counter to see how many calories is in you favorite drink.

*For Dining Out utilize the Eat this Not that website for food swaps. This way you can still eat at your favorite restaurants and know your making good choices.

Tips for Exercise
So you may not want to to your regular exercise routine but you still want to get in some type of physical activity. Use this calorie estimator to see how many calories you burn doing this fun activities.
Try:
*Rollerblading
*Swimming
*Dancing (going to the club counts, but you got to do more than the two step!)
*bicycling
*a pole dance class
* hip hop dance class
* shopping (you have to do alot of walking!)
Need more tips on surviving the weekend? Click here
I know I eat a ton more over the weekends so I still try to get in some excerise. I normally do the ellipitcal machine on saturday mornings but if I don't have time for that I make sure I get plenty of walking in.
Do you eat alot more on the weekend? Have suggestions for other fun activities?
Comment!!!
Have a great Weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I tend to eat the most over the weekends and I think it has a lot to do with my schedule during the week. After a long week of school and work, it feels great to indulge and eat the things that you normally wouldn't because of your heavy schedule. Even though I do eat a lot during the weekends, I still try to stay active by playing sports in the park with my buddies. I know that some don't consider it as exercise, but I do, and it is so much fun. If I am not doing that, I play with and walk my neighbors dogs. They have two big pit bulls and instead of me walking them, they walk me. I often find myself being dragged throughout the whole park. Them dogs REALLY have me running and when I finally get control of them, I need to take a break, have a glass of water and get in my bed. I think walking dogs and playing sports or games in the park are fun activities. They really get your heart pumping.

Anonymous said...

Girl,

You are the BOMB! Thank you so much for the alcohol tips.

From personal experience, I have realized that I really can not do beer. It puts on weight like crazy.

One week I exercises 5X but on the weekend I drank (3) beers. I didn't think anything of it because of the exercise.

So then I weighed myself the next week and gained weight. I knew it was the beer because I kept a food journal and saw that my eating was similar to the week before.

I've found that I can only drink (1) beer and that is the max. I like bud light lime but one is it.

Honestly, on the weekends I am just as careful as I am on the weekdays.

If I want something bad enough, I just eat it in a small amount keep going (dark chocolate is my biggest weakness.)