Friday, June 5, 2009

No Gym Required

I was going to write an article about how you don't need a gym membership to workout. I have been working out without a gym for the past 3 weeks. It has forced me to find creative ways to stay fit. Up until yesterday it was going really well. But all my creativity was exhausted when the heavy rains came pooring down on the DC area and I could no longer run outside. So yesterday, I broke down and went to a Ballys (I got a free two week membership from buying some free weights at TJ MAXX). I will share some of my no gym required tips. I also became aware of a great promotion at Ballys for college students.

No gym membership workout tips*

1. Get up 45 min. early and go for a jog. Find different areas to jogging with different levels of elevation if possible. Also try sprinting or HIIT outside.

2. Youtube! Take advantage of 8 minute abs, legs, arms

3. Get a pair of free weights and a resistance band and try exercises out of your favorite magazine. You can find these for a good price at Marshalls or TJ Maxx

4. Pick up a copy of Oxygen magazine--this magazine is created for women bodybuilders so it has several great tips and workouts there is less fluff than some other health magazines

5. Carmen Electra aerboic striptease -- I came across this yesterday in bestbuy for 14.99


If you really need the gym to be effective and you are college student (w/valid id)
Then check to see if your local ballys is running this promotion:

They have month to month membership for 24.99/month. There is no contract and no enrollment fee. Sounds like a great deal to me.

Comment!

What is your summer workout routine?
What workouts do you do without the gym?

10 comments:

KurlyQue said...

Thanks. I keep telling myself that I need to buckle down and exercise.

Anonymous said...

I bought the whole box set of the carmen electra striptease workouts! I really thought they were a fun way to spice up things with my man..but not a very effective workout.
I think they were made for men *wink wink* but still very fun to do.

luvlylayd said...

thanks for this article! came at the perfect time.

purchasing a membership now is not an option for me so I've been thinking about alternative exercise options. let's face it - there wasn't always a gym, treadmills, etc., so people found many other ways to stay in shape :-)

~*~RBG~*~ said...

I do the Chalene Extreme workout in the a.m.

I also bike, walk and do Wii Yoga

You're so right, with the nice weather there's no reason not to get out and about with your activity... and save some money too.

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am anti-gym right now, lol. I love Jillian Michaels workouts! I do them for free thorough my cable provider.

Laura B said...

Fantastic post! I was having this exact same discussion with my friends the other day.

Fitness Goddess said...

Thanks for sharing ladies!

@brklynbeauty80

I tried out Jillian Michaels this morning....great workout!

Anonymous said...

Great tips!!! I have several videos that has exercises for both aerobic and strength training. When I can't get to the gym I use those. Also, I made up my own fitness list that included exercises that I really like and that addressed the issues that I am trying to change (abs, tighs, glutes obliques, etc.) I just go down the list doing at least 3 sets of 12 for each exercise. This really helps me keep the fitness circuit going. I agree with reading OXYGEN magazine because it truly addresses fitness questions and its a no nonsense approach to becoming fit and tone.

Question: Can abs really get flat and if so how long approx. will it take to tone them up. Also, do you suggest a routine for abs that hits all of the muscles. Just asking

Your comments have been VERY helpful. Thank

caring dietitian said...

Thanks for sharing this. Because of your ideas, I believe exercising without a gym membership will never get boring. Besides, just think about the money you'll save. You'll get the same results without burning a whole in your pocket. Once again, thanks!

Veronica Marché said...

Just came across your blog on sweet-potatopie.com. Thanks for the tips and motivation.

I've been taking daily 2-mile run/walks for the past week, and stretching and working with weights when I get home. I do an arm routine that includes push-ups, tricep push-ups, bicep curls and rows (to get the back). All this after I get off of work (the temperature is usually perfect by then) and I feel great afterward.