Friday, June 19, 2009

The Advice Edition: How to Start Jogging?

I try to make Nubian Fitness Goddess as helpful as possible. I enjoy sharing my stories and experiences with you all. But what's most important to me is that everyone is engaged in sharing information and tips so that we are all on a path to fitness together. I get a lot of emails asking for advice and I try my best to address them all. I think it would be even more help if you all share your tips with women that seek advice.

So the question of the day is from Ms. M a 30 year old mother of 2..........

Hi
I love your blog. I am thirty years old :( and it seems like my body is going down hill. Due to age and having twins, so I decided this summer to get into shape.
What do you recommend that I do to tone and eliminate fat and cellulite that has accumulated to my thighs and stomach. (I am 5'2 weighing at 128lbs, with a huge gut and signs of cottage cheese on thighs)
Diet, exercises regimens, I am game for anything at this point. Just not sure on how to start.
Also, I want to start jogging. How did you begin?
If you have the time, please email me back with your suggestions.
thanks,
Ms M.


My Advice:

You want to increase your fruits, veggies, whole grains (oatmeal, whole wheat pasta, brown rice), and proteins. Try to focus on making sure you get those basic nutrients as opposed to "dieting." You can also try weight watchers which will teach you portion control. But you want figure out what lifestyle changes you can make and be realistic. Think about the unhealthy things you can cut like Soda, Fried Foods, Sweets, Packaged foods (w/ high sodium and preservatives).
You want to increase your water intake and I recommend adding green tea (3-5 cups a day) to boost your metabolism. The tea should be unsweetened (they have boxes of 20 at aldis for $1)

Take your lunch to work so that you are less tempted to get fast food. Keep your lunches creative by adding yogurts (like Key lime pie by Yoplait, my fav.), different fruits, carrots, hummus and pita, etc.

If time is a major issue, perhaps try 30 minute circuit training at a place like Curves. That way you tone and get some cardio. I would recommend trying to do some additional cardo like jogging. How do you start jogging?
Here is a great article.....


H
ow to start Jogging (From Kristens Guide.com)

You need to be able to walk before you can jog. If you can't walk for at least 30 minutes, don't bother trying to jog. Get your walking stamina up first.

Don't worry if your first jogging sessions are only 10 to 15 minutes long and are mostly walking. What's important is that you build on the jogging endurance you already have. If you never jog, then you have little or no jogging endurance, so any jogging (even if its only a few seconds) is an improvement.

  • Warm Up Those Muscles

    Walk for at least 2 to 5 minutes (5 minutes is best). This is like the switch that tells your body, "We're going to exercise now." This will help your body start supplying extra blood to those muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, arteries, veins, and capillaries involved with jogging. This is very important because it will help you prevent injuries.

  • Try a Slow Jog

    Pick up the pace and start jogging. It may feel awkward at first, but it will eventually feel more natural. Don't be surprised if you can jog for only a minute (or in my first jogging session 10 seconds!). Stop jogging before you start huffing and puffing or feeling like you're pushing yourself too hard. This is because you are trying to introduce your body to jogging. You don't want to push it too far too fast, and you especially don't want to create an exhausting experience that's going to make you dread jogging in the future. When you feel like stopping, just bring down the pace and start walking again......(more!!!)


COMMENT!!!
Please share your tips

1 comment:

Fitness Goddess said...

No one as in advice to share?

Come on ladies we got to help each other!