Soul Food Sunday: Feed Your Soul Without Packing on the Pounds
We all love a good Soul Food Dinner but unfortunately one dinner can be 800+ calories and loaded with sodium. So we decided that we would share weekly Healthy and Tasty recipes for you all so you can enjoy your Soul Food and keep your figure tight. We also want you to share your healthy recipes with us.
Today's Recipe: Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet Potatoes have a ton of health benefits. They have low gylcemic index and have anti-oxidant properties. Today's Soul food recipes come from the Black Women Losing Weight Forum. It is low calorie and low fat but full of flavor. Give it try and let us know what you think!
Yield: 16 servings
Serving size: 1 slice
Each serving provides: Calories: 147, Total fat: 3 g, Saturated fat: 1 g, Cholesterol: 40 mg, Sodium: 98 mg, Total fiber: 2 g, Protein: 4 g, Carbohydrates: 27 g, Potassium: 293 mg
For the Crust
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ⅓ cup skim milk or soy milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
For the Filling
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, beaten or egg substitute
- ¼ cup canned evaporated skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, mashed
1. Preheat oven to 350° (Fahrenheit).
To prepare crust:
2. Combine flour and sugar in bowl.
3. Add milk and oil to flour mixture.
4. Stir with fork until well mixed. Then form pastry into smooth ball with your hands.
5. Roll ball between two, 12-inch squares of waxed paper, using short, brisk strokes, until pastry reaches edge of paper.
6. Peel off top paper and invert crust into 9-inch pie plate.
To prepare filling:
7. Combine sugars, salt, nutmeg, and eggs.
8. Add milk and vanilla. Stir.
9. Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
Putting it together:
10. Pour mixture into pie shell.
11. Bake for 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Cool and cut into 16 slices.
Share your recipes! Email us at email@example.com