Friday, July 13, 2012

The Root: Focus on Obesity



Today I attended the Root's Focus On Obesity Conference in D.C. We discussed the challenges that the Black Community faces in terms of Health and Wellness. As I am sure you all know our community is in crisis with 60 % of Black folks overweight or obese. It is great to see the Root.com doing something to help our community.  This conference was a part of the Root's Black Fit and Healthy series. It was very inspiring to hear from the panelists: Mayor Ron Dellums; former Trenton, N.J. Mayor Douglas Palmer; President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition Outreach Director Lauren Darensbourg; Black Women's Health Imperative President Eleanor Hinton Hoytt; health writer Sheree Crute. They discussed topics ranging from healthier community planning to strategies for narrowing health disparities.

Attending this conference really reminded me of how important it is that we each do our part. So what are you doing to make a transformation???  Also we have to encourage each other to engage in healthy behaviors. So invite your friends, sister, mom next time you go to your favorite workout class.


Oh and they provided a yummy and healthy Breakfast and Lunch (see below).

2 comments:

Urban Bushwoman said...

I was there too. Very nice. But I felt like they were preaching to the choir. Time to put this show on the road....to the neighborhoods where people who need to hear it can do just that.

Mike said...

Wow, those plates look amazing!

By the way, I got to reading your blog through Twitter, and now it's been almost 30 minutes and I'm still reading. Anyways, I wanted to tell you that I think your writing (and your blog) kicks ass.

I'm building a resources list on my rowing site, Little River Marine (http://www.littlerivermarine.com). We are looking for awesome fitness and exercise blogs to list on it, and yours definitely fits the bill. Would you like to do a link-exchange? I link from my site to yours and vice-versa?

Let me know,

Mike C.
mike@littlerivermarine.com